Monday, October 12, 2015

Rock-tober 12, 2015

I've got a couple of playlists that I have at the ready depending on my mood, and one of them is simply called "Chill". When I want to unwind and calm down from a day of dealing with other people's problems, this is the one I turn to. You've already been introduced to it. Track 1 is "Drift Away" showcased in the Pulitzer disclaimed Rock-tober: Day 7 from 2013. Today's entry from Kenny Wayne Shepherd is another.

Shepherd is a southern boy, through and through, born and bred in Shreveport, LA. His dad was a local radio celebrity and had a few connections in the business. Shepherd was always fond of the guitar, but this fondness evolved to something more driven when, following his dad around, he came face to face with Stevie Ray Vaughn.

He quickly honed his craft and Ledbetter Heights, Shepherd's first album, was released in 1995 when was 18 years old. "While We Cry" was track number 7 on this album that's since gone platinum. It's a blues instrumental that's best enjoyed on your front porch with a whiskey in one hand and a cigar in the other - my exact same recommendation for "Drift Away".



No comments: