Monday, October 1, 2018

Rock-tober 01, 2018

ForThoseAboutToRock ACDCalbum.jpg


When friends come across this blog for the first time, they usually ask, "How long have you been cranking out Rock-tober?" This year, 2018, will be the sixth year I've penned these musical missives. Their obvious follow-up question is, "Why?"

I've always enjoyed writing, but I don't get much opportunity to do so creatively.

Sensing my dilemma, in October 2013, the Feds came to my rescue. That fall, the US government ran out of money, and I was furloughed along with thousands of other federal workers and contractors. While a little stressful, those days came with a silver lining. As Congress remained deadlocked and bickered about the budget, I had a chance to set an example of productivity for them.

Exploiting the downtime, I was able to craft tales of the music that provided the soundtrack of my youth and how these songs continued to interweave themselves into daily life. The very first Rock-tober post was a great example. At the time of that post, "Shook Me All Night Long" was released 33 years prior. Yet some three decades later it became the centerpiece of one of my favorite AC/DC stories that I still enjoy recounting.

Astute readers will notice AC/DC has launched every Rock-tober thus far. The group claimed pole position in year one because, again, I loved that first story. Since I'm a big fan of tradition, they'll continue to be the month's rock and roll vanguard. Besides, Rock-tober needs to be ushered in as loudly and boisterously as possible. Whether it's the easily recognizable vocals of frontmen Scott or Johnson (and now Axl), the playful raunch of their lyrics, or the distinct riffs coming off Angus's guitar, AC/DC provides the perfect hard-charging, hard-hitting, adrenaline boost needed to kick off this month-long blowout with a bang.

Speaking of bangs, we arrive at this year's inaugural song. The title track off their 1981 album, For Those About to Rock We Salute You, peaked at the number 15 slot on the charts and included the use of cannons during their concerts. Not since the debut of the 1812 Overture has artillery been used as dramatically on stage. It's just another example of badassness from one of the old guard of rock and roll.

Welcome to Rock-tober.


No comments: