Friday, October 26, 2018

Rock-tober 26, 2018

Image result for uncle lucius and you are me


This past summer I got a text from my buddy, Mike. "Wayne, this song is phenomenal. I figured you would appreciate the bluesy guitar and heart wrenching lyrics. Happy Monday old friend." The song Mike was referring to was "Keep the Wolves Away" by Uncle Lucius, and he was right. Having close friends who know what resonates with me is a special kind of awesome. I  played and replayed the track several dozen times the rest of that afternoon. All the while I vacillated between getting misty eyed and pumping my fist with a, "Hell, yeah!"

The song was autobiographical as lead singer Kevin Galloway said in an interview:

"It's about my father who was hurt in a chemical accident when I was a teenager... It changed things around the house, he was the only breadwinner. The song talks about how he worked to keep the wolves away in the midst of that."

My dad was a working man through and through, and this song reminded me of him. He started college studying to be an engineer, but when the money ran out he joined the Navy. Not long after, he married Mom and soon after, they had me. A Navy paycheck for a young sailor doesn't go far when you're trying to support a wife and kid. When the family was stationed in Annapolis, Dad stood his duty watches and when he finished, went to his second job at a local 7-11. It must have been a strain on Dad, but he made it work. We never went hungry and Dad still found time to take me fishing. To this day, as a personal remembrance, my convenience store of choice is 7-11.

Years later, after Dad retired from the Navy, he went to work for a manufacturing plant in Long Beach. I'm not sure "retiring" ever crossed his mind. Besides, with his kid looking to attend college, he couldn't rely solely on his Navy pension. Dad never shied away from hard work and willingly did what he had to do to help support his family.

Regardless of this really strong work ethic, I learned there were some things still more important to him. I was graduating from high school, and with the date set, Dad requested the day off so he could attend the ceremony with Mom. His leave request was denied. When he found out, Dad went to his supervisor and tendered his resignation, effective immediately. He was walking out when management rethought their decision and granted Dad's leave request.

I'm grateful Dad lived long enough to see me finish college, get my first real job, and be the best man at my wedding. We weren't always the most verbose when expressing our feelings, but I hope he knows I'm truly thankful for all his sacrifices to keep the wolves away.


No comments: