Thursday, October 25, 2018

Rock-tober 25, 2018

Heroes by David Bowie UK vinyl single.jpg


Decades before the glut of superhero movies, there were superhero comic books. As an unabashed once and future collector, and much to Andrea's chagrin, I admit to having a crap ton of of comics stashed around Casa Capuyan. The bulk of the books are from House DC, but a few characters from House Marvel are included. The most numerous of these titles feature Wolverine.

I can easily relate to the ill tempered, taciturn dude with a perennial scowl and a penchant for cigars and bourbon. Apart from a near indestructible skeleton and retractable razor sharp claws, Wolverine's one defining superpower is his unrelenting healing factor. I'd find this eminently more useful than the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Normally, my comic book collector persona is kept under wraps and the world is presented with the facade of an ill tempered, taciturn IT analyst dude with a penchant for bourbon and cigars. However, on rare occasions, this secret comic book collector guy identity is exposed.

Years ago I had to have surgery that required me to be put under. I woke up in recovery, bandaged and still groggy from anesthesia and was told I would be kept overnight if I was still under the effects of sedation. Since my latent superpower is 10th degree germaphobe, I didn't want to stick around. Not trusting myself to utter a lucid, "Nah, I'm going home," I managed a smile and a thumbs up, and won my freedom.

Weeks later, during my follow up exam, the doctor checked the incision. "Huh. When was your surgery, Mr. Capuyan?"

"It's been exactly two weeks, Doc."  She crinkled her brow.

"Are you sure? If so, your healing rate is incredible! I wouldn't expect to see this progress for another full month."

The dorkiest geek grin crossed my face, and I whispered, "I am Wolverine." The doctor looked up, "Hmm? What was that?"

I quickly regained my composure and transformed back into taciturn analyst dude. "Uh. Nothing, Doc."


No comments: