Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Rock-tober 20, 2021

In my observation, there's a natural progression of musical influences. As a kid, this was Mom and Dad as I had no choice but to listen to their music. Because of them, my playlists have some really, really deep tracks. We're talking "Harbor Lights" by The Platters and "You Belong to Me" by OG crooner, Bing Crosby. Mom and Dad's tastes eventually diverged with Mom favoring Loretta Lynn, Barbara Mandrell, and other classic country stars, while Dad started following outlaw country with the likes of Willie, Waylon, and Cash. Both styles found their way to my growing playlists.

In junior and senior high, the bulk of my classmates comprised two circles of a Venn diagram represented by country and rock music. Some fell into the either-or camp and a smaller group formed the union of the two. Other circles formed around metal and punk, and I seemingly found myself alone in my own little classical music circle as I was already a fan of Bach and Vivaldi.

When Andrea and I got married, we merged more than our individual households. We definitely influenced each other musically which is why I have P!nk in my playlists and she has Metallica in hers. I'll admit it has been a bit one-sided. She's willingly gone with me to see Buffett, Seger, and ZZ Top, but I really dragged my feet when she wanted to catch Manhattan Transfer. That story is another post.

Kids didn't grow up in our house, so we missed that musical influence vector. But I got the benefit by proxy. A former coworker of mine regularly shared musical groups his teenage daughter introduced to him. One of these was the band Ingram Hill. They formed in 2000 down in Memphis and performed their first gig in Oxford, MS. Because of my former coworker's daughter, their second album, June's Picture Show, is in my CD collection. The song "Chicago" off this album rotates regularly through my playlists.


Ingram Hill - "Chicago"

No comments: