Thursday, October 28, 2021

Rock-tober 28, 2021

 

From a post in September 2013 the original rules of Rock-tober were these:

  1. This is my list. If you disagree, make your own bloody list. If I wanted universal appeal, I'd post pictures of kittens.
  2. If it was released past 1989, stop looking. It ain't on this list - we're going old school here.
  3. An artist or group can only make the list once per year. No repeats. No exceptions.

After a few years, #2 got blown out of the water because, frankly, I'd burned through the bulk of my "period-correct" playlist unless I started posting about Bach, Vivaldi, and Marty Robbins. Andrea constantly campaigns for Air Supply to make an appearance, and I keep referring her to #1. 

Currently, #3 still holds. Because I'm a geek, I ran an analysis of all the songs and artists for all 9 years of Rock-tober. As of today, that's 276 posts. In the charts and pivot tables that I generated,  my favorites became apparent. ZZ Top has graced these pages 7 times, surpassed only by AC/DC, Rock-tober's traditional vanguard.

Formed in 1969, los tres hombres have likely set a record for the longest continuous lineup for any musical act. Someone once asked the group their secret to success, and Billy Gibbons summed it up nicely, "Same three guys, same three chords." This seemingly simplistic formula of a three-piece band and a trio of chords managed to generate one of the most complexly unique sounds of rock and roll - a mix of outlaw country, southern rock, and blues.

I'm exceedingly glad that I was able to catch them live back in 2018 when they rolled through Wolftrap amphitheater on their Blues and Bayou tour. I can confirm that up close and personal, Dusty's and Billy's beards were truly epic. During their entire set, I had the biggest grin on my face, as I was enjoying myself immensely. Usually, Billy sang lead, but there were notable exceptions. In "Tush", their first top 20 single, Dusty's higher register takes center stage, a marked difference from Billy's growling bass.

Of all the groups who've come through Rock-tober, Billy, Frank, and Dusty seemed like they'd be the most enjoyable to hang with. My imagined conversations with these guys started in 2014 when we split a couple of pitchers at my favorite watering hole. In the ensuing years, as car guys, they chilled me out after a perceived insult to the Stang, convinced me to give Vegas another shot as a vacation destination, and mocked my wardrobe and even my lack of facial hair. I thoroughly enjoyed scripting these exchanges, and I always looked forward to crafting each and every ZZ Top post I've written, until this one.

The guys were on tour this past July when the band's website posted that Dusty would be leaving the tour early to convalesce at home with a hip injury. Just 5 days later, Dusty passed away in his sleep at the age of 72. A consummate professional, Dusty left a directive, "The show must go on! Give Elwood the bottom end and take it to the 'Top'." Billy and Frank would honor this request, continuing the tour with Elwood Francis, the group's 30-year guitar tech, handling the group's "bottom end".




Billy and Frank's final tribute to their compadre was poignant and fitting, “We will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature, and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top’. We will forever be connected to that ‘Blues Shuffle in C.’ You will be missed greatly, amigo.”




No comments: