Sunday, October 5, 2014

Rock-tober 05, 2014

Creed formed in 1993 out of Tallahassee. A buddy I worked with introduced me to them when he loaned me Weathered, the third album they released before disbanding in 2004. After the airwaves had been inundated with prepubescent boy bands for years, it was good to  hear the mature male voice of someone old enough to shave.

The album debuted at the #1 spot on the Billboard 200 and stayed there for 8 weeks - tying the record set by the Beatles' Anthology. It went on to  become certified 6x platinum.

Today's track was the lead single off that album. The Grammy nominated "My Sacrifice" was near the top of most charts and made it to #1 on the Billboard Hot Mainstream. There are a lot of interpretations out there regarding this song. Some say it's about reconnecting with an old flame. Some say there are heavy religious undertones. My buddy says it makes him think about his son. One of the most intriguing takes is about having a conversation with your past self.

What would I tell that teenager or that 20 something year old full of piss and vinegar? The inclination would be to give him a heads up about all the inflection points coming down the pipe. The intent wouldn't be for him to change course to avoid a crisis, but rather to brace himself for the impact of life's events. I'd sit him down and say about some of the darkest moments in his life, "Look, this is going to hurt. But I promise, you'll come out on the other side. You're stronger than you think, and you're still standing."

However, like Mr. McGuire's advice to Benjamin in The Graduate, I'd probably say, "I just want to say one more word to you....Google."




No comments: