Sunday, October 19, 2014

Rock-tober 19, 2014

What was your favorite concert? I actually don't have a long list from which to choose:

  • I've had multiple visits to Margaritaville. This is perhaps another post.
  • Sat front row for Eric Clapton (Rock-tober 12, 2013)
  • Shared a bottle of Southern Comfort while listening to Marshal Tucker (Rock-tober 5, 2013)
  • Listened to the *squee* of sorority chicks during The Outfield (Rock-tober 14, 2013)
  • Literally fell asleep during Manhattan Transfer (this concert was Andrea's idea along with the same friend you met previously on Rock-tober 1, 2013 and Rock-tober 6, 2014). This will definitely not be another post.
These days, I can't think of many concerts I would really want to attend in person. Could it be I'm getting too old...? Nah. More likely I'd rather be in my own home, in close proximity to my fridge, and with the stereo loaded with my favorite playlist and cranked to 11.

I'm going to be very selective about which groups I see if I'm going to be paying a small fortune for tickets, be on my feet for the entire two hour set, and dealing with insanely long lines for the bathroom, vendors, and the parking lot. So what would override my reticence?

"Heavy Metal" was originally off Sammy Hagar's album Standing Hampton and re released on Unboxed. Its tempo, rhythm, and driving guitar perfectly portray the intense energy of a live performance. That's something that can't be captured even with all the wonders and advancements of home audio technology.

So, never say never. If certain Rock-tober alumni grace a local venue with their presence, you may yet see me in the crowd fist pumping and air guitaring with the best of them.


No comments: