Saturday, October 29, 2016

Rock-tober 29, 2016


Do you like a good scare? Most of us do, and will occasionally seek out "situations" to get that adrenaline rush. This is how back in high school I found myself in an old graveyard, in the middle of the night, with two buddies, Mike and Noel. The creep factor was off the charts. On queue, a mist rolls through and cloaked the tombstones. Gnarly old oak trees looked like crazy spectres. Their branches, draped in Spanish moss, resembled raised arms that were slowly leaning towards you, hemming you in.

Local lore talked about a haunted caretaker's shack and a history of cars stalling and refusing to crank while on the grounds. The shack was just visible in the distance, with a pale light shining through the shade of the lone window. While I'm looking, a figure casts a profile on the window shade as it paced back and forth. OK. Somebody's home. No big deal. I'm still watching when the figure stops in the middle of the window and turns. No longer in profile, the shadow on the shade now appeared to be facing the window. I felt like we were being watched. The hairs on the back of my neck stood straight up, and I officially moved from DEFCON 4 to DEFCON 3.

I'm not sure if my buddies saw what I did, but there were no arguments when it was suggested we get out of Dodge. I looked back at the shack. The light was still on, but the shadow was gone. OK. Where'd he go? I'm looking out all the car windows while at the same time trying to stay away from all the windows. My mind imagined us finding a large hook plunged into the trunk or a series of 5 long scratches on the side of the car the next day. Welcome to DEFCON 2.

At this point, Mike and I are yelling for Noel key the ignition. He turns the key, but the car doesn't crank. Nothing. Hello, DEFCON 1. To this day, Mike, Noel, and I argue about who screamed first and loudest.

Charlie Daniels's "The Legend of Wooley Swamp", released back in 1980, is, in my opinion, the greatest ghost story in all of Rock-dom. While the song didn't chart very high, it had amazing staying power and has become a set piece in the band's concert playlist. Add this to your own Halloween party playlist this weekend to boost your Rock-tober street cred.



No comments: