Friday, October 13, 2023

Rock-tober 13, 2023

Recently, a coworker was checking out just how viable AI was at generating complex computer code. He laid out parameters and constraints and asked "HAL" to kick something out. While I wasn't there, I was told a blast of expletives exploded from his mouth as he scanned the results. Apparently, it took mere seconds for AI to produce a program it took him days to debug.

Ostensibly, AI is supposed to be the next technological leap for humanity. I get it. Given the right data sets, AI could produce highly effective, life-saving medical treatments tailor-made for your specific genome. Or it could predict possible failure points in the operation of a nuclear power plant to prevent another Fukushima or Three Mile Island. And, full disclosure, I have found some utility in using AI to generate simple scripts that I use infrequently.

But let's face it. Gen-Xers have seen enough dystopian movies to know this may not end well for us. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do something.

On another front, I find myself arguing with a different AI on a regular basis. Originally put into play to help me spell-check these missives, it's devolved into a love-hate relationship.

"That structure seems a little unwieldy."

"Don't worry about it, HAL. I'm circling back to that."

"Remember, it's I before E...."

"Yeah, yeah, I got it!"

"This verb tense is incorrect."

"....."

"Are you intending to sound this formal?"

"FFS. I intend to write a little rock and roll blog entry if you'd stop interrupting! And fix your bloody spell-checker, because it's never, EVER been 'duck'!"

We've settled into a bit of a detente where I ignore most of the suggestions but will attempt to allay this algorithm's weird hyphenation fetish. If you see a hyphenated word, more often than not, thank HAL.

As I was contemplating AI's reach into my own circle of influence, I got a call from Mom. During the conversation, she mentioned termites were swarming in Long Beach and she was a little concerned because of past run-ins with the wood munchers. Her next statement blew my mind.

"I wasn't sure what I should do to protect the house, so I asked ChatGPT." I started blinking rapidly as if that would rewind the universe about 10 seconds.

 "Umm. Mom, you mean you Googled it, right?"

"Oh. No, I have the ChatGPT client on my phone so I asked it what I should do about termites."

Like most Gen-X'ers with Boomer parents, I grew up in a house where the VCR constantly flashed "12:00". Now my mom is interfacing directly with a T-800's little brother.

After getting off the phone I took a deep breath, poured myself a drink, and contemplated how long it would take before Linda Hamilton started banging on my door.

Meanwhile, I sh*t you not (Yes, I know that's not an actual word, HAL, just ignore it), shortly after that conversation, another AI, the YouTube algorithm, kept floating AIVA to the top of my viewing queue. This, folks, is how it all begins.


No comments: