Sunday, October 15, 2023

Rock-tober 15, 2023

While the recently concluded writer's strike was still in full swing, Andrea and I reverted to rewatching old favorites and documentaries. As the credits rolled on at the end of one particular show, it kicked off a conversation.

She turned to me and said, "You know, we really should talk about our plans and what we want for our own funerals..." She didn't realize what she'd stepped into as I'd given this some thought.

"I want an organist!"

Andrea, suspiciously, "...OK..."

"On a real organ!"

"A..'real'...?"

"Yeah! You know, with pipes. And a crap ton of pedals. I mean it doesn't have to be as big as the rig at National Cathedral, but it can't be some dude with a plug-in Wurlitzer and portable speakers."

"So that's a 'No' on the National Cathedral, right?" I was spun up with the scene playing out in my head, and brushing aside the sarcasm, I continued.

"The processional needs to be 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'..."

"What!? Wait. Isn't that the opening scene for The Big Chill?"

"And it's gotta be cranked to 11!" 

Andrea lets out a long, slow exhale. "Fine. OK. The Rolling Stones are on the playlist. What else?"

"I'd want 'Amazing Grace'."

"Awww. That'd be lovely."

"On bagpipes."

"Bag...pipes?! As in more than one?!"

"Hmmm. Is that too excessive? OK. Just the one, then."

"Go on..." She sighed because she knew me so well.

"It'll be just like the Enterprise crew did for Spock at the end of Wrath of Khan.

She stopped listening at that point. It's OK, though. I've got it all typed up somewhere, including the part about spreading my ashes near a particular volcano.


The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

No comments: