Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Rock-tober 17, 2023

In high school, Mr. Burger, our World History teacher once had an impromptu Trivial Pursuit session in the middle of class. "What organization, formed during WWII, was the forerunner to the CIA."  As I raised my hand, he pointed at me. "Wayne?"

"Was it the OSS?" He double-checked the answer and smiled.

"It is! How'd you happen to know that?" Before I could censor myself, I replied.

"I read it in a comic book."

Rather than raise an eyebrow in a "You know you're in high school now, right?" manner, he paused, nodded, and said, "Knowledge is knowledge."

As a kid, I'd pick up comics at the Navy Exchange or from the convenience store down from the house. One day, in Biloxi, across from Edgewater Mall, a comic book store run by a Brit and his American wife set up shop. I'd never seen such a wonder. Here, rather than the scant half dozen titles carried by the Exchange, were hundreds of titles. Separated by House DC or House Marvel, back issues vs current, all in easily browsed cardboard boxes purpose-built for storing comics.

One month I was stuck at college in Mobile and wouldn't be able to make the trip over to pick up my titles. I was a little stressed because the very first Green Arrow annual was out, and it was a crossover with Batman. My fear was it would sell out before I could get my hands on one, so I asked my buddy Noel to pick up a few copies for me.

As he was checking out, Noel asked the guy, "Hey, do you think this title will sell out?"

"Well, yeah, if everyone buys multiple copies like your buddy did."

Wiseguys. 

I still have the book and the receipt. A quick search online shows a near-mint copy of Green Arrow Annual #1 can go for $34.00. A 35-year investment of $2.00 can now buy a tank of gas.



One of the reasons I liked the Green Arrow title was (1) the guy's an archer and (2) this title was unfettered by the Comic Code Authority. The CCA was the comic industry's self-imposed regulation used as an alternative to being regulated by the Feds, and it kept comic book content at the PG level. By stepping outside the CCA circle, this title was free to explore subject matter Archie and Jughead wouldn't encounter at Riverdale High.

One of the more profound realizations to come out of this book's storylines was the expectation that  "justice" and "the law" were synonyms. They are not. While justice says an individual must be held accountable for crimes committed, the law can vacate a judgment for any number of reasons.

I get it. The law is supposed to be an unbiased shield for everyone. But we all know that the law and justice aren't always in perfect lockstep.

Of note, on the other side of the equation, there's a red line beyond which justice becomes vengeance. Scanning some of the headlines of today, I imagine the inner strength required to not step over that line must be enormous.  When wronged, escalation is easy. But if we're going to make it as a society, it will require all sides to take a step back and take measured, very considered steps forward. Together.


Metallica - ...And Justice For All



No comments: