Saturday, October 7, 2017

Rock-tober 07, 2017



If I were to describe drivers in the DC metro area, it would be "aggressively impatient". Maybe it's symptomatic of daily, close order automotive drills with a couple of thousand yahoos. It could be the close proximity to New York and New Jersey, states not exactly known for churning out courteous drivers. Perhaps it's the self importance people get being so close to the seat of power down in DC. Whatever the source of the contagion, very few people are immune. Basically, it sucks. Witness the typical, one-sided conversations I have with others on the road:

"Oh, I guess you're merging over. Nice turn signal, jack hole."
"Don't. Don't you do it! AUGH! YOU. DID. NOT. JUST. DO.THAT."
"Your gas pedal. It's that thing on the floorboard that makes you go faster. Just saying."
"OMG! From what defective, malfunctioned Cracker Jack box did you get your license!?"

There's medical evidence that the stress of traffic has a detrimental effect on your health. A former coworker of mine made the dubious decision to go in for a physical immediately after his commute home. The doctor was shocked when his blood pressure was taken.

"Holy Hannah! Your numbers are off the chart! What have you been doing?"
"I just spent an hour and a half on I-270"
"Oh. Yeah. That would do it."

At stop lights, there a 2 simple rules. The first guy at the light has one job and one job only: punch the gas the instant the light turns green. The second guy at the light also has one job and one job only: lay on his horn if the first guy doesn't do his job.

Meanwhile, Mom calls and gives me the download of what's going on back home. She complains the traffic in Long Beach is getting "bad". "I'll come to a stop light, and there's always at least 4 cars in front of me."

*sigh*

Thank goodness for Sirius and Spotify. My playlists take my mind off the close proximity of knuckle heads between me and my destination. They're full of songs that induce a more chill state like this one from Rocktober 2013 or today's feature that just reminds me to have some patience. A lot of patience.


No comments: