Sunday, October 29, 2017

Rock-tober 29, 2017


I've had multiple requests to do an entry on 70's disco. The problem is, apart from movies and my collection of polyester disco-esque shirts and bell bottom slacks, I was a preteen during this era and had no first hand experience with this phenomenon. Interestingly, it caught up with me in the next millennium.

A few years ago I was with a group of friends trying to drum up a fundraising idea for our church youth group. Someone got the bright idea of putting on a talent show. So far, I'm in. It was then suggested that we do a lip sync number. As long as I'm not having to belt out any tunes, I'm still in. The discussion then turned to what number we would perform. This is when it goes sideways. "Hey, let's do 'Y.M.C.A'!"

One of the guys present used to work construction. "I've got a toolbelt and a hard hat!" Another had connections to law enforcement. "I can be the cop!" One by one, the roles were claimed - cowboy, biker, soldier. "Hey, who's going to be the Indian?" In unison, everybody turned to me.

Me: "Umm. Wait a minute."
Them: "That'd be perfect!"
Me: "Whoa. I'm not so sure about this."
Them: "You'll be awesome! Headdress. War paint. You can do buckskin breeches and be shirtless!"
Andrea: "YEESSS!!!"

Thank the rock and roll gods, it never happened. I forget what we eventually did, but it didn't involve me prancing around on stage doing "Y.M.C.A" in nothing but buckskin breeches, headdress, and war paint.

"Y.M.C.A" was released as a single off the Village People's 1978 album, Cruisin'. It was their biggest hit and claimed the #1 spot on a multitude of international music charts. Interestingly, it never hit #1 in the US, being thwarted by Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?." Because of its iconic dance and association with major worldwide sporting events, this 70's tune, an intriguing piece of Americana exported to the world, is still alive and kicking to this day. Even I've been known to join in on the dance myself, just not while wearing only buckskin breeches, headdress, and war paint.



No comments: