Friday, October 27, 2017

Rock-tober 27, 2017


There's an epilogue to Andrea's and my encounter with the plaid wearing, Nirvana grooving clerk down in Auburn.

After I finally found my tobacco supplies, we headed back to Andrea's mom's place. My nephews were cleaning out one of their grandfather's cabinets and found some tobacco tins and old tobacco. Andrea's mom picked up one of the tobacco tins to examine it and declared, "This is pretty old. I'm not sure you'd want to smoke this tobacco - but you can smoke pot in Daddy's pipes, too." If my head was on a swivel it wouldn't have been able to whip around any faster. I wondered if I'd heard right.

Apparently I did. Andrea sputtered an incredulous, "MAMA!"

Holy cow. I looked over at my nephews and the look of admiration they were giving their grandmother at that moment was priceless. They already knew they had the coolest gran around, and this just cemented her reputation in their books. She wasn't finished. "You know, pot may be legal in Maryland pretty soon."


Andrea's mom is one of the most straight laced people I know. She's incredibly unflappable, and I've never seen her lose her temper or even raise her voice. Her hospitality is first rate; the meanest thing about her is her world class pot roast. She doesn't drink or smoke, let alone spark the occasional bowl. Even so, and with all the beatniks, hipsters, and Nirvana grooving sales clerks walking around, my mother in law still won the day with +10 street cred.


No comments: