Sunday, October 11, 2015

Rock-tober 11, 2015



With Dad being in the Navy, there were long stretches in my growing up years when I didn't see him, which really sucked swampwater. Midway through a deployment, he'd come home on leave and we'd cram months of father/son time into those 2 short weeks. I looked forward to when he rotated to shore duty because I knew we'd get in a lot of fishing time. More often than not, we'd also take a road trip.

Dad loved to drive and he loved the open road. Years later I've realized I came by my wanderlust honestly.

Back in the day, well before Sirius and mp3 players, there were long stretches of open highway that were radio wastelands. Dad had 2 defenses against these doldrums: a CB radio and a lot of 8-tracks. His choice in 8-tracks was flavored by his love of the old west. John Wayne was his favorite actor and Louis L'Amour was his favorite author. He was most comfortable in boots and jeans. When he donned his hat, shades, and wool lined jacket, I swear he looked like he just stepped out of a Marlboro commercial. It was a pretty badass look that I tried but failed to emulate.

He also loved "outlaw" county music. My first musical influences were the likes of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Waylon Jennings. I listened to a whole lot of Waylon on those trips and found he and his leather clad Fender had a song for just about every mood I'd have.

"Rose in Paradise" was released in 1987. The guitar work is like your momma's chicken soup or apple pie - it's comfort food for the soul. Ironically, Waylon almost didn't record it. The tune was passed around by several artists before Loretta Lynn recommended it to him. He eventually laid down the track for his album, Hangin' Tough. It went on to become his 12th and final number 1 hit.



There were 2 epic road trips Dad and I talked about but never got around to doing - a drive down to Key West and a drive out through Yellowstone. I still look forward to doing these one day, and you can bet I'll have Waylon on my playlist and Dad on my mind.

No comments: