Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Rock-tober 28, 2015



I don't remember much of what happened in 1974. After all, I was all of 4 years old. I know we were living in base housing in Annapolis, MD. I know Dad was in school after he left the fleet and transferred to the SeaBees, and I know Mom was working as a nurse at the local hospital. I know my world revolved around playing outside, going fishing with Dad, and watching Speed Racer and Ultraman on TV.

That was the extent of my world. I was clueless about pretty much everything else. I didn't know we were still mired in the horrors of Vietnam, that an American Presidency hung in the balance as the Watergate storm rolled in, or that the ongoing oil embargo was sounding the death knell for the age of big block engines (at least for a while).

Neither did I know about some English band across the Pond dropping their debut, self titled album, Bad Company. Like everything else outside my world of fishing, play, and TV, appreciation for these events would have to wait until I was much older.

I don't remember when I heard my first Bad Company song or when I bought my first Bad Company album or tape. I do know they're now a regular staple on any Classic Rock playlist I build. I also know that their self-titled single, "Bad Company", off that first album is my favorite of theirs.




No comments: