Saturday, October 31, 2015

Rock-tober 31, 2015



Many, many times during this month Andrea peeked in on me while I was trying to crank out an entry and asked, "How's it going?" Often my response was a shake of the head. I read somewhere that Charles Schulz would sometimes stare forlornly at the four blank panels of his daily Peanuts comic strip for hours waiting for creativity to strike. I think I've glimpsed that struggle.

However, it's October 31st. Another 31 days and 31 songs are in the books and another Rock-tober draws to a close. Looking back at the month's playlist, I'm serenely satisfied.

Anne, a friend of Andrea's, said her fourth graders caught her listening to the opening riffs of AC/DC from the first day of Rock-tober. Those kids may not have known who AC/DC was, but she immediately earned tons of street cred in their eyes. I hope stories like Anne's aren't isolated and that I've sparked a memory, brought a smile to your face, or at least entertained you with tunes from my music collection.

For the third year, closing honors are bestowed on Lynryd Skynyrd. The final selection this year sums up the wistfulness and nostalgic yearning that I've found is a predictable side effect of Rock-tober - for simpler times, old friends, or old stomping grounds.

Despite being born and raised in Alabama, Andrea's one condition of marriage was that we not live in Alabama. Over the years I've tossed out southern cities for possible relocations. Atlanta and Savannah made the cut, but much to my chagrin, Long Beach did not. I'll keep working on it, but at least for the foreseeable future, home is the Old Line State of Maryland.

Thanks for your time, folks, and I'll see you on the flip side.


No comments: