Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Rock-tober 14, 2015



I'll admit to a certain amount of snobbery about my music. I was there when a lot of these now classic albums were released and feel this somehow gives me some clout and authority to say a lot of today's music just sucks. So, when I read posts from youngsters who say they've been introduced to The Rolling Stones or Aerosmith from playing Guitar Hero or Grand Theft Auto or some other such nonsense, I have to curb my inclination to be dismissive of the experience. Today, there are more venues for musical exposure than just exchanging mix tapes, radio air play, and buying 45's.

Hollywood is and always has been a good way to showcase music. If a good movie is combined with a good soundtrack, both artist and actor benefit. There are countless examples including today's selection, "Stand By Me".

"Stand By Me" was released by Ben E. King in 1961, and he did very well with it. He rode the song to the #1 spot on the US R&B chart, #4 on the Hot 100, and #27 on the UK singles chart. It never really went away after that. It was covered countless times, keeping it in the public eye. However, as a teenager, I don't think I was aware of Ben E. King, his huge library of singles, or his place in the history of R&B. That changed in 1986 when the film Stand by Me used King's version of the song for the soundtrack.

The song rose again, making it all the way back to #9 on the US Hot 100. Suddenly a new generation, my generation, was introduced to this giant of the R&B genre. I guess the lesson learned is it doesn't matter how the next generation is exposed to the classic annals of rock. Just as long as they hear what real music sounds like there's a chance they won't become Nicki Minaj fans.

Ben E. King died on May 1 of this year. Fortunately, he lived long enough to see his recording of "Stand By Me" inducted into the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress.


No comments: