Monday, October 19, 2015

Rock-tober 19, 2015




One day, back in 8th grade English class at Long Beach Junior High, we had a substitute teacher. I happened to be in the front row, and the sub was walking back and forth lecturing on the intricacies of English grammar. Suddenly she stopped in front of my desk, looked at me and asked, "Do you understand what I'm saying?"

My classmates were giving me sideways glances, wondering what I'd do. I was contemplating being a smartass. On the other hand she didn't know me, and it was a legitimate question. I managed a nod, when the guy sitting next to me, Chris Cave, went off on her. I don't remember what was said, but it ended with the sub apologizing to me. Chris and I were acquaintances before that episode. Afterwards, we were pretty good friends.

His sense of humor usually made me laugh, but he could also be annoying. A few years later in high school, the student body was called in to the gym. A band named Amber Lights was giving an anti drug presentation. They said, "If you've got friends in trouble with drugs or depression, you need to put your hand on their shoulder and ask, 'How can I help?'" They closed their presentation with a cover of Corey Hart's "Never Surrender". For weeks afterwards, I'd be at my locker, in the cafeteria, or loitering on the walkway when I'd feel a hand on my shoulder. I'd turn around and it would be Chris. With all the fake seriousness he could muster, he'd ask, "Hey, man, how can I help?" Several times this happened in front of teachers, and once, one of those teachers took me aside to make sure I was OK. I could hear Chris laughing as he took off down the hallway. Punk.

Regardless, I'm not sure what happened to Amber Lights, but "Never Surrender" was a big hit for Corey Hart. The song  peaked at #3 in the US. In his native Canada, it went to #1, earned him a Juno award, and was eventually certified Platinum.



No comments: