Sunday, October 27, 2013

Rock-tober: Day 27

Chances are, if you came of age in the '80's, you were listening to Bon Jovi.

The boys from Jersey were one of the hottest tickets in those days, and when it came to Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora, guys wanted to be them and girls wanted to be with them.

Starting with their debut album, Bon Jovi, and continuing with 7800° Fahrenheit  their success continued to build with each successive release. When Slippery When Wet was unleashed in 1986 it became the bands turning point. No longer an opening band, they became headliners in their own right.

Slippery When Wet was eventually certified a Diamond album, and it spawned two number one hits, "You Give Love a Bad Name" and "Livin' On a Prayer".

I have a special affinity for Bon Jovi because it's like they wrote the soundtrack for my teenage years...

"Remember days of skipping school

racing cars and being cool?"

...described my home town...

"Sometimes this town ain't pretty,

but you know it ain't so bad..."

...and even my car...

"...on a steel horse I ride..."

...yeah, I know that last one was a stretch.




The folks from Young Guns II approached Jon Bon Jovi about using "Wanted" for the movie's soundtrack. Jon didn't think it was a good fit since the song actually describes the life of a rock star rather than a cowboy. He came up with an alternative, "Blaze of Glory", that was used in the movie. I actually think this is my favorite song of his, but unfortunately it was released in 1990 and violates Rock-tober Ground Rule #2.



No comments: