Thursday, October 31, 2013

Rock-tober: Day 31

Soo...

After 30 days it's come down to this. The last day of Rock-tober. Thirty songs taken from the psychedelic 60's to the very far edge of the glam rock '80's. What band could possibly tie off this historic effort?

Back on the radio version of Rock-tober, closing honors usually went to Rush or Zeppelin. Nothing against those boys, but this is my list, and I'm closing it out southern style. This requires a southern band. And not just any southern band, I'm talking about a southern Rock-and-Roll band.

I'm talking about Skynrd, y'all.

But which song?

Before you start breaking out your bird whistles, let me tell you, that's not where we're going. I'll flick my Bic and yell "Freebird" at every concert just like any other true believer, but today's destination is a whole other place.

Growing up in South Mississippi, it was common sport to make fun of our neighboring state to the east. While Mississippi may have lagged in national polls on education, income, and healthcare, we could always say, "At least we aren't Alabama."

With irony not lost on me, after graduating from high school, I wound up attending college first at the University of South Alabama and then the university of Alabama: Auburn. All told, I spent the next 10 years of my life in this foreign land. In those 10 years, I graduated from college, got my first job, and proposed to my wife. Not bad for a Mississippi ex-pat living abroad.

During my exile, I saw almost every corner of the state. I hiked the trails in Chewacla, enjoyed the sun and sand in Gulf Shores, caught the view from the state's highest point on Mt. Cheaha, and watched lightning storms up close and personal from my hillside apartment in Birmingham.

I also partied during Mardi Gras in Mobile, hunted for lost treasures at the Great Boaz Flea Market, and shared a bottle of Southern Comfort while Hank Jr. performed at Oak Mountain Amphitheater.

And the food...

With fresh seafood on the coast, mouthwatering barbecue up north, and the best Sunday-after-church lunch spread in the entire state in my mother-in-law's dining room, Alabama was almost heaven for a foodie.

I came to really enjoy my life there. So, yeah, at the end of it all, I was actually a little sad to leave.

Have you figured out our final song? Of course you have.

Sing us home, boys!







No comments: