Sunday, October 20, 2013

Rock-tober: Day 20

Guns N' Roses was formed in 1985 from members of two bands, L.A. Guns and Hollywood Rose. As Guns N' Roses, they released Appetite for Destruction in the summer of 1987, and "Paradise City"  was released as a single a year later in the fall of 1988.

In the spring of 1989 I was at Auburn University waiting for spring break to roll around. The plan was to hit Panama City, work my way west, and eventually wind up at home in Long Beach. As I'm sitting in class, the words to this song kept running through my head. I found myself rocking it out on air drums during the lecture, and the lyrics eventually morphed into

Take me down to Panama City,
where the water's blue
and the girls wear bikinis.
Hey, it's cheesy now, but it put a smile on my face during differential equations...

I eventually did make it to Panama City. The water was definitely blue, and indeed, there were girls wearing bikinis.


No comments: