Monday, October 21, 2013

Rock-tober: Day 21

Yes, I know Don Henley is a member of the Eagles. Yes, I know Don Henley recorded "The Boys of Summer". No, this does not violate Ground Rule #3.

Building the Perfect Beast was a solo album for Henley and was not an Eagles project, therefore Ground Rule #3 is preserved. So there. Any more complaints? Refer to Ground Rule #1.

"The Boys of Summer" was the first track on Building the Perfect Beast released in '84. I seem to remember this song more from the video than from radio airtime. This makes sense, since it won Video of the Year and other awards including Best Cinematography.

One interpretation of this song is it represents coming of age. One day you look around and realize you have a family, a mortgage, and a 9 to 5 job. There's nothing wrong with being 20 years down range from high school, but there's a periodic tendency to look back to simpler times.

For me, this was summertime on the Mississippi Gulf Coast: the scent of blooming magnolias, cruising the beach with the windows down, the carnival atmosphere of the Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo, salt spray on the boat ride to Ship Island, and the shade of the Friendship Oak. I realize I'm remembering all this through the rosy lenses of nostalgia, but I'm good with that.


Let me leave you with another personal factoid. I'm no singer, but if I'm in the car alone when this song comes on, I will absolutely belt it out.

No comments: