Sunday, October 13, 2013

Rock-tober: Day 13

Where did you get your first guitar?

Dad was stationed in Rota, Spain, with the Navy in the late 70's. While he was there, Mom asked him to pick up a Spanish guitar for my aunt who had expressed an interest in learning to play.

Fifteen years later, after her interest waned and my own was rising, she gifted it back to me. In a very roundabout way, Dad bought me my first real six string. I always thought that was pretty cool.

I liked to play in college. For me, it was a great portable, lowcost stress reliever. If there was a guitar close buy, it wound up in my hands. Today, I still have it, and I'll still reach for it, just not nearly as often. I don't know if that means my life is less stressful these days or I just developed a thicker skin.

Unlike me, Bryan Adams has a parade of hit songs on his resume. "Cuts Like a Knife" and "Run to You" come to mind. He even graced the soundtrack of my favorite campy Costner flick, "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves."

Yeah, don't hurt yourself laughing there, Chuckles. Costner shared screen time with a scimitar wielding Morgan Freeman and a cameo shot with a crowned Sean Connery. That sentence alone makes it a bad ass film and your objections are invalid.




For the record, Bryan Adams was born on 5 November 1959. So...in the summer of '69, Bryan Adams was all of 9 years old. All this talk of buying a guitar at the local five and dime, an abortive attempt at starting a band, and making out with some girl on her mamma's porch is, I'm guessing, probably poetic licence on his part.

No comments: