Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Rock-tober: Day 15

If you were to line up all the Rock-tober songs to date and place "Africa" amongst them, you would probably be saying, "Hmm. One of these is not like the others." On the surface, you'd be right. But there's just something about this song...

As a kid, the best part of National Geographic magazine was the maps. After unfolding them and laying them out, my fingers traced out Columbus's voyage to the New World, the line of Hadrian's Wall that bisected Britannia, or the course of the Colorado as it cut the swath of the Grand Canyon. Exploration and curiosity.

Jimmy Buffet once said, "My occupational hazard is my occupation's just not around." Regrettably, the days of wearing a pith helmet while hacking a trail through virgin jungle or seeing an unknown shore for the first time through a sailor's spyglass are gone. But for me, the inherent need to explore and see what's around the next corner is still there.

Here's another personal factoid: One item on my bucket list is to set foot on all seven continents (I still need to hit three more).

Andrea periodically cautions me to curb my curiosity before it gets me into trouble. She's been proven correct on many occasions, but the urge to just open that closed door or push that red button are always present. She sighs heavily and then gives me a T-shirt that says, "Not all who wander are lost." Huh. Sounds familiar. At least she gets me.

Anyway, that's what this song evokes for me. Cross an ocean just to see what's over the horizon. Scale a mountain just to check out the view. Test the boundary. Push the limit. For me, that's very Rock and Roll.





As a side note, I was fortunate to have spent nearly a month in Africa and Tanzania specifically in an effort to bring the gift of sign language to the deaf and hard of hearing in that land. I'm very proud to be part of that ongoing mission, and I'll post a link later so you can check out the facts. Be different and make a difference. That's also very Rock and Roll. Nothing on the scale of Bono's efforts, but hey, at least I've got a year-round tan. Yeah, that's right. Suck it, Bono.

Now, anybody know how to get to McMurdo Station?

No comments: