Monday, October 7, 2013

Rock-tober: Day 7

There's something visceral about tearing down the road at 80+ mph with the stereo cranking out a hard charging rock anthem - a screaming guitar and your car's throaty rumble assaulting your ear drums as the world blurs past.

That being said, I'm now wise enough to realize that going full tilt nonstop at 120 beats per minute is a good recipe for a flame out.

We've all got a lot of noise in our lives. Everyone and everything around you is demanding your attention. Sometimes you just have to slow down. Sometimes you just have to shut the world out and go to your happy place. Sometimes  you just have to chill, recharge, and contemplate. "Drift Away" embodies these sentiments perfectly.

I've not tested this, but it feels like my blood pressure drops by verse two. The high profile, critical emergency the boss just dropped in my lap - meh, it's not so daunting. That jackass driver that just cut me off - maybe he's rushing home because his gas station sushi lunch didn't agree with him. Whatever. This song has a very calming effect for me and has earned it a permanent place on my playlist.

Enjoy the track, preferably with a stiff drink in one hand and cigar in the other, all while watching the sunset from your front porch. I know I am.


No comments: